Build your Cigar Humidor
- Common Name(s)
- Redheart, Chakte Kok
- Scientific Name
- Erythroxylum spp. and Simira spp.
- Tree Distribution
- Southern Mexico to southern Brazil and Paraguay
- Tree Size
- 50-65 ft. tall, 1-1.5 ft. trunk diameter
- Janka Hardness
- 1210 lbf
- Aptly named, in some instances freshly surfaced Redheart can be a very bright, watermelon red—though color can vary in intensity and hue from board to board: anywhere from a light orange/pink, (similar to Pink Ivory), to a darker brownish red. In some cases, it can look quite similar to Bloodwood, though usually with a more visible and figured grain pattern. Redheart’s vibrant color quickly fades to a reddish brown in direct sunlight, though this color change can be slowed (but usually not stopped entirely) by using a finish with UV inhibitors, and keeping the wood away from strong lighting.
- Grain / Texture
- Grain is usually straight or irregular, with a fine, even texture. Low to medium natural luster.
- Pricing / Availability
- Sometimes available as narrow boards, but commonly available as turning squares. Tends to be on the medium to high side for an imported hardwood.
- Information cited from Wood-Database.com