Build your Cigar Humidor
- Common Name(s)
- Chechen, Chechem, Black Poisonwood, Caribbean Rosewood
- Scientific Name
- Metopium brownei
- Tree Distribution
- Dominican Republic, Cuba, Jamaica, Guatemala, Belize, and southeastern Mexico
- Tree Size
- 50-115 ft (15-35 m) tall, 3-5 ft (1-1.5 m) trunk diameter
- Janka Hardness
- 2250 lbf
- Heartwood color is highly varied, with red, orange, and brown contrasted with darker stripes of blackish brown. Color tends to shift to a darker reddish brown with age. Well defined sapwood is a pale yellow.
- Grain / Texture
- Grain is usually straight, but may be wild or interlocked. With a uniform medium to fine texture and good natural luster.
- Pricing / Availability
- Generally available as lumber, though turning blanks and thin craft lumber is also sold. Chechen is touted as a low-cost substitute for more expensive tropical woods, and prices should be moderate for an imported hardwood.
- Information cited from Wood-Database.com