Build your Cigar Humidor
- Common Name(s)
- Bastogne Walnut, Paradox
- Scientific Name
- Juglans x paradox (J. hindsii x J. regia)
- Tree Distribution
- California, USA
- Tree Size
- 50-100 ft (15-30 m) tall, 3-5 ft (1-1.5 m) trunk diameter
- Janka Hardness
- 1250 lbf
- Heartwood colors can vary from lighter golden yellow to reddish brown, sometimes with darker brown to nearly black streaks. Paler sapwood isn’t always sharly demarcated from the heartwood. Curly or rippled grain is also seen on some sections.
- Grain / Texture
- Grain is usually straight, but can be irregular. Has a medium texture and moderate natural luster.
- Pricing / Availability
- Regular lumber is slightly more expensive than the more common Black Walnut. However, as is the case with most walnuts, pricing for figured Bastogne Walnut is heavily tied to its quality of color and figure, with the highest grades being extremely expensive—easily on par with imported exotic timbers.
- Information cited from Wood-Database.com