East Indian Rosewood
Build your Cigar Humidor
- Common Name(s)
- East Indian Rosewood, Indian Rosewood, Sonokeling
- Scientific Name
- Dalbergia latifolia
- Tree Distribution
- India, Sri Lanka, and Indonesia
- Tree Size
- 100 ft (30 m) tall, 2-4 ft (.6-1.2 m) trunk diameter
- Janka Hardness
- 2440 lbf
- Heartwood of East Indian Rosewood can vary from a golden brown to a deep purplish brown, with darker brown streaks. The wood darkens with age, usually becoming a deep brown.
- Grain / Texture
- Has a medium texture and fairly small pores. The grain is usually narrowly interlocked.
- Pricing / Availability
- Generally good availability in both board and turning blank form. Expect prices to be high for an imported hardwood, though not as prohibitively high as some of the scarcer rosewoods.
- Information cited from Wood-Database.com