Build your Cigar Humidor
- Common Name(s)
- Purpleheart, Amaranth
- Scientific Name
- Peltogyne spp.
- Tree Distribution
- Central and South America (from Mexico down to southern Brazil)
- Tree Size
- 100-170 ft. tall, 3-5 ft. trunk diameter
- Janka Hardness
- 2520 lbf
- When freshly cut the heartwood of Purpleheart is a dull grayish/purplish brown. Upon exposure the wood becomes a deeper eggplant purple. With further age and exposure to UV light, the wood becomes a dark brown with a hint of purple. This color-shift can be slowed and minimized by using a UV inhibiting finish on the wood.
- Grain / Texture
- The grain is usually straight, but can also be wavy or irregular. Has a medium texture with good natural luster.
- Pricing / Availability
- Widely available as lumber in good widths and thicknesses. Prices are in the low to medium range for an imported hardwood.
- Information cited from Wood-Database.com