Build your Cigar Humidor
- Common Name(s)
- Macassar Ebony, Striped Ebony, Amara Ebony
- Scientific Name
- Diospyros celebica
- Tree Distribution
- Southeast Asia
- Tree Size
- 50-65 ft. tall, 1.5 ft. trunk diameter
- Janka Hardness
- 3220 lbf
- Heartwood has dramatic striped appearance, somewhat similar to Zebrawood. Yellow to reddish brown body with darker brown or black stripes. Sharply demarcated sapwood is pale gold color.
- Grain / Texture
- Grain is usually straight, but can sometimes be interlocked; fine uniform texture and good natural luster.
- Pricing / Availability
- Likely to be extremely expensive, along with most other Ebony members in the Diospyros genus. The tree grows slowly, has a very limited natural habitat, and is highly desired for the wood’s aesthetic appeal and toughness.
- Information cited from Wood-Database.com