Build your Cigar Humidor
- Common Name(s)
- Black Walnut, Walnut, American Walnut
- Scientific Name
- Juglans nigra
- Tree Distribution
- Eastern United States
- Tree Size
- 100-120 ft. tall, 2-3 ft. trunk diameter
- Janka Hardness
- 1010 lbf
- Heartwood can range from a lighter pale brown to a dark chocolate brown with darker brown streaks. Color can sometimes have a grey, purple, or reddish cast. Sapwood is pale yellow-gray to nearly white. Figured grain patterns such as curl, crotch, and burl are also seen.
- Grain / Texture
- Grain is usually straight, but can be irregular. Has a medium texture and moderate natural luster.
- Pricing / Availability
- Very popular and widely available, though board widths can sometimes be narrow. Considered a premium domestic hardwood, prices are in the high range for a domestic species.
- Information cited from Wood-Database.com